Too Much Medicine
20% Health-Expenditure Wasted
Very High MRI Rates
2 x Caesarean Sections
- Entering information
- Diagnosis; Exams; Interventions; Prescriptions; Changes
A hated task but also
a step in research!
Looking for information on specific patient groups
How are patients treated elsewhere and what are the consequences?
Guidelines; Studies; Expert Opinions; Organizational Rules
Under which circumstances should be a specific exam/intervention (not) conducted?
Shows how patients were treated elsewhere and the consequences of the treatments
We are looking for information on specific patient groups
- Relevant guidelines?
- How would other institutions treat similar patients?
- Search for similar patients
- Summarize results
- Submit aggregated result
- Receiving results from hospitals
- Final aggregation
- Visualize results
- When and where are unusual decisions are made?
- Who makes them?
- Are our recommendations not specific enough?
- Should we recommend other interventions/exams?
- Patient groups with high treatment variation
- Deviating institutions and medical staff
- vs guidelines
- vs other institutions
- Identifies causes for geographic variation
- Efficacy and Diagnostic information
- Interventions that lead rarely to better outcomes
- Exams that rarely lead to interventions
Decision Support Tools:
- Develop and validate
- Based on the integration of data available from various sources
- Contribute to improve diagnosis and clinical decision
Provides Relevant Information
Reduces Treatment Variation
Makes Documentation Meaningful